Sunday, October 23, 2011

North of the Vindhyas

I am just back from a vacation north of the Vindhyas, my first trip to this vast part of India. Where did I go? Delhi was my base camp, and I travelled from there to Agra, Mathura, Rishikesh and Haridwar.  To be my unbelievable fortune, I also got to go to Srinagar on official work :). That's a lot of travelling in 10 days. It also means I have a few posts to write, but I will save that for the next few days and leave you with the major achievements of this vacation and a few snaps:

  • I saw the three giant rivers of the Indian plains - the Ganga, the Yamuna and the Saraswati. Wait! Did I say the Saraswati? Does it even exist? Well, I  started reading 'The Lost River: On the trail of the Sarasvati' on this trip. So I can say I realized the truth of its existence and  one day I hope to see the bed of the Ghaggar-Hakra river it she once flowed through.   
  • 'Kashmir se Kanyakumari' is an oft-used phrase in our country, and I can say that I have visited both the poles of India. 
  • It is a awesome feeling to visit places graced by two of the most revered teachers of India, Shankaracharya (Shankaracharya Temple, Srinagar) and Krishna (Sree Krishna Janmasthan, Mathura) 
  • Finally, I got to visit two of the most beautiful places associated with India - the Taj Mahal and Kashmir. 


Sameer, me and Ritesh in Gulmarg

Majestic !
More on trip in future posts !

No comments: